Skip To Content

The City of San Ramon is proud to serve you at our Permit Center, located at 7000 Bollinger Canyon Road. Representatives from the Community Development Department (Building and Planning Divisions) and the Public Works Department (Engineering and Transportation Divisions) are available to assist you with over-the-counter questions and routine permit processing.

Services provided at one convenient location include:

  1. Streamlined permitting processing of routine permits.
  2. Coordinated customer contact with appropriate staff representatives.
  3. Permit-related questions and answers.

7000 Bollinger Canyon Road
(925) 973-2574


Call (925) 973-2692 or  (925) 973-2670 to schedule Encroachment Permit and Site Development Permit Inspections.

Click on each permit type to read a description and download the form:

Encroachment Permits

Download Encroachment Permit Form (pdf) - Updated 9-29-2021

An Encroachment Permit is required for any work to be performed in the public right of way. Examples of work requiring an Encroachment Permit would include (but are not limited to) trenching in the street for a new utility or repair and/or replacement, replacement of sidewalk, installation of a drain through the curb, and construction or widening of a driveway approach, and dumpsters and/or portable outdoor storage units. On most streets, the public right-of-way extends approximately 10 feet from the face of curb but vary throughout the City.

Transportation Permits

Download Transportation Permit Form (pdf)

A Transportation Permit is required for transportation loads in excess of Caltrans standard height, weight, and length requirements. This permit is issued by Engineering Services for transportation loads that are in excess of standard height, weight, and length requirements. A permit is needed when the vehicle exceeds any of the following; 8 ½ feet wide, 14 feet tall, 40 feet in length, or 65 foot combined length. A Transportation Permit is valid for 5 days and permit request must be made at least 1 working day prior to the transport date.

The following information will help you obtain a transportation permit:

When do I need a transportation permit?
This permit is needed when the vehicle exceeds 102" wide, 14' tall, 40' in length or 65' combined length.

How much does this permit cost?
The cost of the permit is $16.00.

How long is this permit valid?
A transportation permit is valid for 5 days.

How far in advance do I need to apply?
The request must be made at least 24 hours prior to the move date.

Are other permits required?
The granting of this permit does not relieve the applicant of the responsibility of obtaining any other permit required by any other public agency (e.g., Caltrans, CHP, Contra Costa County, Town of Danville, City of Dublin).

Site Development Permits

Download the Site Development Permit Form (pdf)

A site development permit is required for work on private property which includes (but is not limited to) excavation or moving of dirt, installation or alteration of drainage, paving, or installation of site improvements such as sidewalk, landscaping, lighting, and utilities. Prior to final approval of this permit generally requires approval by the Planning Department and/or the Planning Commission and review and approval by the Engineering Department of improvement plans, traffic, hydrology and soils studies and reports, and site stormwater control plans.

Grading Permits

Download Site Development/Grading Permit Form (pdf)

A grading permit is required for work on private property or related to grading, paving, or clearing activities as outlined in the Grading Ordinance.

When is a Grading Permit Needed?

Grading Activities:

  • The grading of an area where the average slope of the area to be excavated or filled exceeds 5 to 1.
  • The excavation, fill, or rearrangement of 50 or more cubic yards of earth material on any site. This volume shall be the aggregate of all grading or clearing operations over a 12-month period.
  • The excavation or fill of any portion of a site that increases or decreases its elevation following the completion of grading by a height of two feet or more at any point.
  • The diversion of rainwater runoff from an area that is greater than the impervious area threshold for new development established by the Regional Water Quality Control Board for the San Francisco Bay Area, or 2,000 square feet, whichever is smaller.
  • The blockage or alteration of a waterway or drainage way
  • The excavation for the installation, removal, or repair of any underground storage tank.

Clearing Activities:

  • The clearing of an area one acre in size or larger.
  • The clearing of an area greater than 2,000 square feet with an average slope exceeding 5 to 1

Paving Activities:

Construction of pavement surfacing on natural or existing grade of an area that is greater than the impervious area threshold for new development established by the Regional Water Quality Control Board for the San Francisco Bay Area, or 2,000 square feet, whichever is smaller. The Director may waive the requirement for a grading permit under this subsection when a separate improvement plan for such paving has been approved and signed by an authorized City official.

Exceptions to the permit requirements. No grading or clearing permit shall be required for:

    • An excavation below finished grade for basements and footings of a building, mobile home, retaining wall, or other structure authorized by a valid building permit or construction permit. This shall not exempt any fill made with the material from such excavation or exempt any excavation having an unsupported height greater than five feet after the completion of such structure. This shall not prohibit a minimum fee grading permit or soil or geologic report from being required for foundation design and inspection purposes when, in the opinion of the Director, stability or flooding considerations warrant such inspection;
    • Cemetery graves;
    • Refuse disposal sites controlled by other regulations;
    • Earthwork construction regulated by the federal, state, county, or city governments, or by any local agency as defined by Government Code Sections 53090 through 53095 (Special Districts). Pipeline or conduit excavation and backfill conducted by local agencies or public utilities. Earthwork construction performed by railway companies on their operating property. This exemption, however, shall apply only when the earthwork construction takes place on the property, or dedicated rights-of-way or easements of the above agencies;
    • Excavation and backfill for installation of underground utilities by public utilities or companies operating under the authority of a franchise or public property encroachment permit;
    • Mining, quarrying, excavating, processing, stockpiling of rock, sand, gravel, aggregate or clay where established and provided for by law, provided such operations do not affect the lateral support or increase the stresses in or pressures upon any adjacent or contiguous property;
    • Exploratory excavations under the direction of soil engineers or engineering geologist, provided all excavations are properly backfilled. All such excavations and trenches are subject to the applicable sections of Title 8 of the State Orders, Division of Industrial Safety;
    • The stockpiling of earth materials on a site, for temporary storage, in an amount as determined by the Director, which does not exceed thirty days in duration and does not obstruct a drainage course. (Ord. 64 § 1 (part), 1986)
    • Work performed as interim protection under flood fighting or other emergency conditions.
Drainage Permits

Download Drainage Permit form (pdf)

A drainage permit is required for any work on any City-owned drainage easement or any other work that may alter the drainage patterns or characteristics.

Pavement Cut Moratorium


Subject Streets

Cuts in the City’s pavements are subject to the City’s Pavement Cut Moratorium. The Moratorium Ordinance prohibits cuts in the City’s pavements where any of the following apply:

1) for any pavement with a very good to excellent condition as determined by having a Pavement Condition Index rating of 80 or above using the pavement rating system approved by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission;

2) for five (5) years after the completion date of public street construction or maintenance, including but not limited to an inlay, overlay, chip seal, reconstruction, or other similar maintenance; and

3) for three (3) years after the completion date of  slurry seal coatings or micro-paving of the roadway surface. Utilities shall plan well enough in advance to determine alternate methods for making necessary repairs to avoid excavating in newly resurfaced public streets.

Exceptions may be allowed at the discretion of the Director when:

  1. Emergencies that endanger life, property, or public health and safety. In the event of an emergency, the person making an emergency use or encroachment shall apply for a written permit within 10 calendar days, beginning with the first business day the City offices open. 
  2. Interruption of essential utility service. In the event of such interruption of service, the person claiming an exception to the Moratorium under this paragraph shall apply for a written permit within 10 calendar days, beginning with the first business day the City offices open. 
  3. Work that is mandated by city, state, or federal legislation.
  4. Unforeseen circumstances where the financial burden outweighs the benefit to the public street infrastructure.
  5. Other situations deemed by the Director to be in the best interest of the general public.

Emergencies and other exceptions do not exempt the permittee from any requirements to repair the pavement as included herein or as conditions of approval of a permit.

Required Repairs

Repairs on Moratorium streets shall typically consist of the following:

  1. Inlaid, overlaid, or reconstructed roadway: All lanes that are affected shall be ground down two (2) inches and paved with two (2) inches of similar asphalt concrete material as the previous treatment to the satisfaction of the Director. Some roadways may require rubberized asphalt or other materials.
  2. Slurry sealed, chip sealed, or micro-surfaced streets: All lanes that are affected shall be resurfaced to the satisfaction of the Director with a treatment similar to what was previously utilized.

ORDINANCE 507 - Pavement Cut Moratorium (pdf version)

 The full text of the Ordinance in the San Ramon Municipal Code can be found here.

Future Planning

Every year, the City prepares a 5-Year Plan of streets that it intends to undertake maintenance activities on. These streets are mapped on the City’s GIS system, as shown below. Planning now using this data will reduce the potential for expensive repairs associated with the Moratorium Ordinance or undesirable delays to be compliant with it. However, it should be noted that the Plan varies and is updated at least once a year. The actual pavement work undertaken depends on the budget, shifting priorities, accelerated pavement damage due to weather and other factors, costs of repairs, and other factors. Only the actual pavement repair work that is undertaken in the City will trigger the Moratorium, and differences between the planned work and the actual work conducted will not exclude a street from the Moratorium.

Please click on any of the following links to download in PDF format:

Standard Plans and Details

Irrigation System and Landscape Planting/Maintenance Specifications

Current Large Scale Permits - There are currently no active large-scale projects.

For more information on any of these permits and which permits are applicable to any new construction project, please contact the Engineering Services Division at (925) 973-2670, or please utilize the City’s Permit Center to coordinate new project activities with Engineering, Planning, and Building at 2401 Crow Canyon Road.