Skip To Content

What is a Subdivision (Major/Minor) Application?

In general, land cannot be divided in California without local government approval. Dividing land for sale, lease or financing is regulated by local ordinances based on the State Subdivision Map Act (commencing with Government Code Section 66410).

The City of San Ramon General Plan, Zoning, Subdivision, and other ordinances govern the design of the subdivision, the size of its lots, and the types of improvements (street construction, sewer lines, drainage facilities, etc.).

There are two types of subdivisions, Major and Minor:

1. A Major Subdivision (Tract Map) is for divisions resulting in five or more lots. A Major Subdivision may also include a condominium map if the project is for five or more condo units.

2. A Minor Subdivision (Parcel Map) is limited to divisions resulting in fewer than five lots (with certain exceptions).

Key Questions

  • Is the proposed map consistent with the general plan and any applicable specific plans?

  • Is the site physically suited for the proposed type and density of development?

  • Is the design of the subdivision or type of improvements unlikely to cause serious public health problems?

  • Have adequate conditions been applied to the approval (or the project redesigned) to mitigate the environmental effects identified in the environmental analysis done for the project?

  • Are all dedications and impact fees reasonably related to the impacts resulting from the subdivision?

Application Information

Please contact the Planning Services Division at (925) 973-2560 to speak with a planner about specific submittal requirements, Application fees, and review timelines for a Subdivision (Major/Minor) Application. The application form and submittal requirements are provided below: