Skip To Content

For emergency situations that threaten life or property and demand immediate attention, please call 911

The Neighborhood Preservation Inspectors will assist you in any way possible, even if the issue requires a referral to a different department or agency. They are usually available Mondays 9:00 am to 9:30 am; Tuesday to Friday – 8:00 am to 8:30 am.

Mike Elliott
[email protected]
(925) 973-2589

Duties and services of the Neighborhood Preservation Inspector:

  • Respond to citizen inquiries, ideas and viewpoints by investigating alleged violations of the City Municipal Code, Zoning Code and other related laws.
  • Initially, seek voluntary compliance if there is no immediate life and safety danger.
  • Actively pursue compliance when violations of the City Municipal or Zoning Code exist through administrative, civil or criminal remedies.
  • Coordinate with other agencies for cross-jurisdictional violations.

Strategies to preserve the quality of life in the City of San Ramon:

  • Quality environment: Preserve the community's quality of life through enforcement of the City's Municipal & Zoning Codes.
  • Excellence: Provide ongoing learning and continuous improvement into the way we do business.
  • Partnership: Create new ways of solving community problems through which the City, residents, business people and community groups each take active responsibility for active participation.

Consequences of Non-Compliance:

The San Ramon Municipal & Zoning Codes are designed to ensure that the health, safety, and general welfare of residents and the business community will not be compromised. Consequences for failing to comply with the City Codes may include a Courtesy Warning, Correction Notice, Stop Work Order, Administrative Hearing, Citation, or Civil Injunction.

How you can help

If you are considering making changes in land use or structures, you should be aware of any regulations or laws that may effect your project. If you are unsure about a particular City Municipal or Zoning Code requirement, please contact the Planning at (925) 973-2560 or Building and Safety Services at (925) 973-2580.

Report hazards or notify us about any of the following:

  • Abandoned or inoperative vehicles in the front setbacks of residential or commercial land use.
  • Vehicle parking on landscape surfaces in the front yard of residential areas.
  • Illegal construction or occupancy.
  • Graffiti.
  • Substandard housing conditions.
  • Drainage problems.
  • Sign ordinance violations.
  • Businesses operating without a City of San Ramon Business License.
  • Encroachments into the right-of ways.
  • Unsanitary or unsafe premises.

Here are some instructions on how to assist us when a problem or nuisance may exist…

  1. Specify the problem or nuisance.
  2. Provide the exact location.
    • Street name & number
    • If there is no address, provide the location of the property and nearest cross streets
  3. Provide a specific description. Examples:
    • Vehicle license number, make, model, type color, etc…
    • Type of debris, auto parts, garbage, appliances, etc…

Who do I Call?

Animal Control (925) 335-8300 Recycling (925) 973-2552
Building Issues (925) 973-2580 Sidewalk repairs (925) 973-2800
Code Enforcement (925) 973-2590 Signage Issues (925) 973-2560
Environmental Health (925) 646-5225 Street sweeping (925) 973-2800
Graffiti Abatement (925) 973-2800 Tenant/Landlord Issues (925) 439-1056
Home Businesses (925) 973-2560 Zoning Issues (925) 973-2560